And, hidden in the piece of land eminating from the fox's nether regions, is my name. Can you spot it?
In the 3+ years since it was released, Firefox has done amazingly well, sitting at around a 17% market-share right now according to netapplications. It pleases me to see an open source project scale to the level that Firefox has, take on the status quo and do so well. Version 3 Beta 4 looks pretty nice on the Mac too.
- Go to your Firefox
profiledirectory and then to its
- Do a find for
del.icio.us.jar. It should be in the
chromesubdirectory of some distinctly unspellable directory.
- Go to the directory above that
chromeone. There should be a file called
- Open that file in your favourite text editor. If it's the correct one it should say
em:name="del.icio.us"somewhere in the file.
- Assuming you found the correct file, change the line that reads
em:maxVersion="1.5.0.*" />so that it reads
- Restart Firefox 2.0 and your del.icio.us extension should be working again.
UPDATE:I've heard that at least one person wasn't able to get this workaround to work. I'm not sure why that would be; perhaps the person has an older version of the extension. I know that on my work PC I didn't get Firefox 2.0 closed down all the way the first time I tried it, so the extension was disabled. When I closed down properly it worked as expected, just like it did on the other computers I've done it on.
Also, it doesn't matter whether you do this before or after you install Firefox 2.0. You're just changing one line in a configuration file, so the only thing to make sure is that Firefox is exited fully before trying again. If your del.icio.us buttons or menu don't appear then go back to
Tools\Add Onsand you'll probably see the extension is still disabled.
UPDATE:Version 1.2 of the del.icio.us extension is out now and Firefox 2.0 should update it for you. This post may still be useful for other extensions that haven't been updated, but is otherwise moot.
So I decided I would write my own greasemonkey script to do all that bothersome addition for me on my running log. After a few false starts, caused by me trying to use FireBug's console for logging, which isn't exposed in greasemonkey, I got it to work:
The text in green at the bottom is generated by the script (the total above it in black is my previous hard-coded one). The script isn't done yet; for one it has next to no error handling. Also, because of the ajax nature of Backpack, my totals get lost whenever I edit the page, forcing me to do a full page refresh to get them back. So, I might add a keyboard shortcut to turn the totals on and off next.